Homemade Pie Crust? WHO has time for that?! Why you do of corse. With this simple recipe, you’ll be making this pie crust in your sleep, especially after you bite in to it! When I first started thinking about making my first pie a few years back I assumed I would just pick up a ready made pie crust from the grocery store. Nope. Apparently I married in to a connoisseur of all things baked/cooked from scratch.
You may also enjoy : Top ten gifts for the mom who does it all
To get started here, always remember to wash your hands and take off your rings! Does any one else have a small trinket dish that they use when baking/washing hands/doing chores that they use to keep their treasures? Below you will see my place of choice. It is called the ‘Trinket Dish” from Three Corners Artisan.
Having a husband who avidly searches to cook new things is definitely not a problem for me! My husband is constantly showing and teaching me new ways to cook things, how to tell if something is done (or overdone, whoops!) and that sometimes it really is easier to just make it from scratch! Hence, this simple 3 step pie crust recipe. Don’t be intimidated! If I can do this, you can do this!
You may also enjoy : The Best Butter Chicken Sauce
4 Step Homemade Pie Crust
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons), cut into slices
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp ice water
1) Mix flour and sugar in bowl.
2) Add about half of the butter. Add the rest of the butter. Blend until the mixture turns into coarse crumbs (small pea size).
3) Slowly add the ice water and pulse until the dough gathers up into a ball. If it doesn’t after a few seconds, add a few more drops of ice water until it does.
4) Take the dough and flatten it into a disc and place it on a sheet of floured plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before rolling. Remember to use the plastic wrap trick from below!
If you’ve got any tricks up your sleeves on how to make pie crust, different designs or just want to share your experience with this recipe, let me know below in the comments! I would love to hear from you, and get new ideas!
XOX – Cass
(Check out my 3 extra tips below to easier pie dough making!)
3 Tips to the easiest pie crust!
Tip #1 : One thing that I did see online, that I did not have but would love to try one day, is someone suggested using a food processor to mix and blend the butter into your flour mixture. I took the rustic path of the pastry blender.
You may also like : Canadiana Styled Shoot
Tip #2 : When rolling out the dough to get it ready for the pan, place a piece of saran wrap overtop and underneath of the dough before pressing the rolling pin down. This will make your life, and washing time, so much easier! The dough will not stick to the rolling pin and will be a nice quick wrap up and toss when done.
Tip #3 : Once you have refrigerated and rolled out your pie crust, you can decide how you would like to form it. I always love the classic look of pinched edges and a lattice crust, but you can be creative! Remember, rustic is okay here: you want your pie to look homemade!